Yay… nay.

Posted in Thoughts by Sandra on April 2, 2009

I received an email from Swinburne today. There was a letter (.pdf) attached.


Euphoria! Hugs! Yay! Joy!

“Ok kitten, go find out how much we need to pay and by when!”

Settle down, and read the email in more detail.

“Please note that we were unable to offer you the original preferred course on your application form and we have offered an alternative package offer. Please note that the minimum entry requirement for Swinburne TAFE course is successful completion of an Australian Year 12 or equivalent.”



So it turns out that Singapore’s GCE ‘O’ Level is only counted as an Australian Year 11. Most TAFE courses (except courses like floristry) require a minimum entry requirement of Australian Year 12. And apparently, that is a GCE ‘A’ Level.

Which means I’m fucked, because I have only my GCE ‘O’ Levels (with transcript) and 1 1/2 years’ worth of university (without transcript). And since I don’t have the transcript for my university, I’m a “Year 11”. I can’t help feeling like I’ve been fucked over by both paper qualifications and money.

That’s the con of university programmes like the one I was in: if you’re in, you’d better finish it till the end, or at least be able to get your transcript before you get out. I bypassed the need to take my GCE ‘A’ levels because the US degree programme allowed GCE ‘O’ Level graduates to apply, but as you can see, it’s not of much use because I don’t have transcripts.

And what the fuck? The foundation programme is 4 months shorter than my “principal course”, and is AUD $4,000 more expensive to boot.

I’ve written directly to the Director of International Admissions. I hope he responds quickly…

At this point, it seems that I must return to Singapore. I’ve started looking for temp jobs I can start working in for 3 months starting 17th April — 2 days after I would’ve gotten back to Singapore.

I don’t want to, though…

Tagged with: , ,

3 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Py said, on April 2, 2009 at 7:22 pm

    :( Good luck with that, Sandrah.. Alternatively, look for other unis maybe?

  2. Trisha said, on April 3, 2009 at 2:27 pm

    Omg so much

    look at a website called OTEN it allows you to do a course from home, maybe they will accept you with what you want to do

    • Sandra said, on April 5, 2009 at 5:04 pm

      Unfortunately OTEN cannot be the provider of a student visa… I’ve to be enrolled with some other school if I wish to enroll in OTEN as an international student. :( Thanks though, Trish!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: